A LITTLE MORE THAN A YEAR AGO I INTRODUCED YOU TO MY AUNT ELLA. YOU CAN SEE THE POST BELOW. I JUST WANTED TO SHARE WITH YOU THAT SHE HAS MADE HER TRANSITION TO HEAVEN AS OF YESTERDAY, MAY 20, 2019. SHE WAS 90 YEARS OLD.
I JUST WANTED TO RE-POST THIS PARTICULAR BLOG ABOUT HER BECAUSE IT WAS TRUE TO THE END.
BYE AUNTIE. MY HEART ACHES BECAUSE I MISS YOU. BUT MY HEART REJOICES, TOO, BECAUSE YOU ARE IN THE PRESENCE OF THE LORD AND THERE’S NO MORE PAIN.
What can I say about my Aunt Ella? So much. She was always so animated to me. She was a person I looked forward to seeing. We all loved to go to her house and stay overnight. If we couldn’t stay overnight, we’d stay just for a visit. No matter, we love her to this moment. Now she was not without her own set of idiosyncrasies:
When a child is 5 or 6 years old and Aunt Ella comes over making you smile and laugh you warm up to her. So, as a child you ask, “Aunt Ella, how old are you?” She would answer, “I’m 19.” Whenever she said that, we would believe her. We were 5 and 6 years old, so 19 seemed a BIG age. Plus, no one ever refuted her statement. But when you are about 10-12 years of age and ask Aunt Ella, how old she is and her rely is, “I’m 19,” you begin to wonder whether that statement is true or not. When you turn 18 or 19 and ask that same question of Aunt Ella and she replies, “I’m 19,” you know that for many years she had been pulling your leg. Check this out:
- Whenever she came over she made all of us kids stand in line as she gave us all a big spoonful of COD LIVER OIL! Yuck.
- Whenever you stayed with her your breakfast was Ralston Purina Hot Wheat Cereal, there was never an exception
- She always made you work, but never called it work. She said, “take this into the basement, while you’re resting.”
- She always taught us to marry for money: “Looks can’t feed ya.”
- She called my daddy “Son.” All the time. He was her brother-in-law.
- She was color struck: “Only marry ‘white meat’.” One great niece did that. No one else.
- You have never been disciplined until she used a switch on your legs.
- She is royalty: She calls herself the Queen of Spain!
- After all these years, when asked how old she is, she says, “I’m almost 20.”
There’s no one like her. Love you Auntie. More tomorrow.